Hello! Thanks for checking out our blog.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Bay Area has operated under the belief that inherent in every child is the ability to succeed and thrive in life. As the Bay Area’s largest donor and volunteer supported mentoring network, Big Brothers Big Sisters makes meaningful, monitored matches between adult volunteers (“Bigs”) and children (“Littles”), ages 6 through 18, in San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Alameda, and Contra Costa Counties.We develop positive relationships that have a direct and lasting effect on the lives of young people.
Mentors, backed by quality mentoring programs, play a powerful role in preventing substance abuse and youth violence, as well as boosting academic achievement and workforce readiness. BBBSBA’s mentoring services have a measurable impact on at-risk youth. Recent studies show youths matched with a Big Brother or Big Sister for 18 months or more have:
– 100% improved GPA’s if they were failing students.
– 92% have improved self- confidence.
– 98% have higher aspirations and better relationships.
– 98% increased scholastic competencies, grades, and education expectations.
– 89% avoided smoking, drinking, drugs, skipping school.